Quote of the Day: "Our Hiding Place" how to make your own Jar Chandelier

Goodmoring everyone! Today an excellent idea from a lovely couple of Our Hiding Place on how to transform simple jars to a wonderful kitchen chandellier. Here it is:
Quote:
Source: Pottery Barn

I know. Beautiful isn't it? Can't you just imagine it hanging in your home? I could too....but NOT for $399. But lucky me has an electrician for a husband!! And here's how I convinced him he was just the guy for the job..our conversation went somewhat like this:

Me: Honey! I have a new job for you that I know you'll be REALLY GREAT at.
Him: What's that?
Me: We are going to make this! (showing him picture) You are the best electrician in the world, I know you can do it! And I will help you!
Him: Oh alright.

Okay, so it didn't take much convincing. After we got all the materials and sat down to start our project, he actually refused my help! Then again, what guy doesn't love DIY projects?

The Pottery Barn version has 16 jars, measuring 35 inches wide by 32 inches high.  Our condo's small kitchen could not accommodate a chandelier that size (which is where we planned on hanging the fixture). So we scaled it down to half the size of the PB version and planned on using only 8 jars (we can also expand it in the future!)

Here's a shot of the transformation of a jar to a light!



Lined up and ready to be wired!


We were smooth sailing until discussing how we would actually mount the fixture to the ceiling, and what type of fixture we would use.  We could have used the back of a vanity light, which was our initial plan, but I felt like it could still be done cheaper and look nicer. Which is when yours truly put her carpenter hat on and decided we the hubby would build the ceiling mount ourselves himself from wood (I was the brains behind the building of it, while he put it together :) But the rest of it was all him!) A little Rustoleum Dark Bronze Hammered Spray Paint gave it the rustic metal finish it needed. I also sprayed one coat of the spray paint on the tops of the jars. This allowed some of the original silver to show through, adding to the look.

And when all was said and done, we were left with this.....



 I love it!  And it added some extra light to our kitchen!



Our very own PB inspired mason jar chandelier...for less than $100.

What do you think? We are so proud of our work! :)
Unquote

Well what do you think? They are very creative ah?

xoxo
Olga



4 comments:

  1. U are so talented.. I m so surprised.. Amazing idea..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Πολυ ωραίο...Μπράβο για την όρεξη και τη δημιουργικότητα!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! However, I only posted this... not my project (oups...)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughtful comments keep me going! Feel free to share them!
However, I reserve the right to delete all anonymous comments and restrict comments that are irrelevant to the article, contain profanity or lack respect, personal attacks or those that seek to promote a personal or unrelated business.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Icon Icon Icon Icon Follow Me on Pinterest

spice up your blog
Pin It button on image hover